I’ve worked from home for a long time now, something we’ve done with everything from bank statements to portfolio work is going as paperless as possible. There are a few great reasons why this is total possible and why you should go paperless too.
- Cloud! Cloud space means that you can access anything, anywhere, anytime. That is a big deal for me, if I have finished up a clients work and head to a meeting, I can pop open a computer and show them everything that has been done on a project to that point. Pop it in a Powerpoint deck, share it, and they have it too. It’s simple and easy.
- It’s greener – this one goes without saying, right? Stop printing out things, you probably don’t need and save a few trees. One simple step to reduce your carbon footprint.
- Speed. Have you ever searched through a big file for a particular sentence? It’s a nightmare. A simple cmd & f or ctrl & f and you can find the information you need in seconds. I can email a file in seconds but by post I’m looking at a day or two.
- Workflow. Google Docs, Microsoft Office and Adobe have collaborate options to create a beautiful work flow when working from a distance. Note can be added, corrections are quicker and adding addition information takes much less time digitally than adding it to a hardcopy.
- Security. Digital files are more secure, you can password protect, encrypt and saved in multiple locations.
Getting paperless to work for you isn’t difficult with a few quick steps.
- Make sure you are diligent with passwords and protection.
- Inform your clients you are paperless, encourage no printing of files you have sent unless they are for a specific reason.
- Look into digital storage options – Clouds, HDDs, Dropbox and so on.
- Check our companies who specialise in going paperless like www.idbs.com