What do you want in life? What are your hopes and dreams? A good night’s sleep? Is that it? I’m with you. There is nothing worse than waking up after a patchy night of sleep or not enough rest. That crick on your neck or twinge in your back stays with you all day.
As a parent, I know the importance of a good night of rest, and you know what, I highly recommend it. Not just to parents; to everyone out there. The more rest you can get, the better your life will be, and that all starts with the right mattress.
It took me a while to realize that I had the wrong mattress. It took me even longer to realize how to choose the right one. I did it, but you don’t have to (the research, that is. You should definitely invest in a good mattress).
This is what I found:
1. WHAT KIND OF MATTRESS DO YOU NEED?
Yeah, there are different mattress types. Who would have thought it? When I set out on this journey (yes, I am calling it a journey), I had not even considered this, but there are a million mattress types out there.
• Hybrids contain a mix of materials. They are usually designed for a specific reason. They are great if you need a specialized mattress and cannot find what you need.
• Latex is great if you want to be cool as you sleep. They provide excellent comfort and bounce back to give a firm sleep.
• Memory foam gives great support and contour to your body. They wrap to your shape and give great support.
• Coils are classic. If you are used to the springs beneath you, then go for this one. They help keep you cool and provide firm support.
• Pillow-top have an additional layer of cushioning. Great if you want a softer sleep.
• Adjustable can be, well, adjusted. Enough said.
2. WHAT IS YOUR BUDGET?
This may be the most crucial factor in your choice. It definitely stands to reason that the more you spend, the better the mattress you will get. But, you can still get a good mattress if you are willing to shell out a few bucks.
Determine your budget and stay as close to it as possible. Check the reviews of the mattresses in your price-range, and do not be afraid to choose a mattress at the upper-end (I found the useful). This is a long-term investment.
3. WHAT IS YOUR SLEEPING POSITION?
This is also very . If you sleep on your side, you will need a mattress which is soft to medium. If you sleep on your back, you will need a mattress which is soft/medium to medium/firm. If you sleep on your back, you will want a mattress which is medium to firm.
4. HOW MUCH DO YOU WEIGH?
I know, I know. That is a pretty personal question, but the more you weigh, the more support you will need. Generally, the more you weigh, the firmer a mattress you will need.
5. DON’T BE FOOLED
A lot of mattresses will come with bells and whistles. There are a lot of things that you do not need. If you have to pay more for features, then stay clear.
6. TRY BEFORE YOU BUY
You are shopping online, but that does not mean you cannot do a little research first. Go into a store and try some of the beds. Find what is comfortable to you and then take advantage of the online prices.
I’LL SLEEP ON IT
Getting a good mattress is not hard. Think about these six things and you will be well equipped to but your new perfect mattress.
A good night’s sleep is only a few quid away.