I switched to vegan eating about 5 weeks ago now, and there are some things that just don’t hit the mark for me in terms of flavour. I picked up a few different vegan chocolate bars and I really wasn’t very keen on the flavour. I obviously haven’t been able to work through all the vegan chocolate brands, there is probably one out there that is gorgeous – I just haven’t found it yet.
It’s really simple and ready in about 2 hours.
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup maple syrup or honey if you're not vegan
- Vanilla extract - or other flavouring of choice
- Pinch of salt
- Melt the coconut oil in a pan
- Add your cocoa powder, give the mixture a good stir
- Pour in your maple syrup/honey
- Add your vanilla extract
- Add in the salt
- Give the mixture a good stir.
- Pour mixture into a tin lined with baking paper, once cooled pop it in the fridge
- Ready in two hours!
For my first one I grated orange rind to the bottom of the lined tin and then on the top of the chocolate before putting it in the fridge. Second time around I added chopped pecans to the top and sea salt.
The chocolate is very dark, super rich and really quells any craving I have for chocolate or something sweet.